Sunday, May 14, 2017

The 1up Arcade Bar


This weekend I promised myself, again, that I wouldn't work overtime on Saturday. I kept my promise. We had a leisurely breakfast and went shopping. I bought some yarn and a loom that I had been eyeing for over a year. When I was in the Pacific Northwest last year, I picked up some sticks from the forest on the mountain where I grew up. I've been wanting to make a wall hanging to hang from them ever since. We picked up some local beer on our way home and hung out in our apartment with our windows open to the green trees and the sun streaming in. I drank beer and watched weaving videos.

We were still recovering from the excitement of our Friday evening apartment visit. It went really well and we think we'll rent an apartment from this real estate company. The apartment we saw was a studio with a dining room and a huge bathroom. The dining room was painted a light robin's egg blue and the bathroom had large black and white diamond tiles. There was an alcove where a Murphy bed used to be. There is a shared outdoor space where we could garden and barbecue. The best thing is that it's within our budget. The walk is also 15 minutes closer to work. When we were headed back to our car, the owner started telling us about another apartment he had that we would love. It's a one bedroom on the same street. It's a little more expensive, but still close enough to our budget that we could make it work. I had already fallen in love with the studio's decor, but I couldn't pass up on an actual bedroom and more space. This other apartment also has shared outdoor space where we could throw the ball for Kiki. We're going to see it on Monday.

After lounging around the house for most of Saturday afternoon, we walked over to Illegal Pete's with Kiki to meet some friends. I love that we can take Kiki there to visit with them. We made samgyeopsal (Korean bacon) for dinner, so we just sat and chatted as they ate. From there, we walked over to The 1up on Colfax. Brian and I had driven past this bar many times, but we've never gone in before. I was excited to finally go and find out what it was like inside. We met a third couple there, more friends who also taught in Korea. At first I was hesitant to try out any games. The only game I have ever been good at is Doctor Mario. I don't like playing games that I can't win and I was very good at winning Doctor Mario as a child. It came easy to me, but it was enough of a challenge to be fun and exciting. I realize that that's not really the point of playing games, but I lose interest in most games quickly.

After playing a few rounds of Skee-Ball, I was hooked and determined to try more. When we first arrived, I told Brian that I only wanted to play one game and I'd be good for the night. We ended up running around and trying all sorts of different games. I even played a few that I was terrible at and wouldn't mind trying again. After Skee-Ball, my second favorite was Ms. Pac-Man. I also enjoyed Pac-Man Battle Royale, which was played with three friends who you were competing against. It was the most fun I have had out in a long time. Running around exploring games and finding your friends from time to time is a great way to spend a Saturday night. We went home tired and satisfied. Although we could see ourselves spending way too much money at this place--the quarters do add up--we were excited to realize that the apartment we might move into is only a five-minute walk away.













4 comments:

  1. Hey! Sorry, I wanted to respond to your comment on my blog but I thought maybe you'd get it here faster! That's so good you actually know couples that lived in Korea though! So nice to be able to reminisce and/or rant with them haha. - Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and we'll be moving to a new apartment that's only a ten minute walk from one couple. Strange but amazing that we all ended up in Colorado.

      Have you found a supportive expat community in Italy? I'll have to head over to your blog soon & read more about your adventures starting out there!

      Delete
  2. this looks like so much fun! i love the idea of making a handmade hanging with sticks from back home. my husband is from the PNW, so i've learned how much nature is engrained in him ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely a big way of life there!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...