Thursday, July 13, 2017

Getting Settled and Being Productive


What is better on a quiet and peaceful weekday morning than a warm cup of coffee? I could go on and on about how much I love coffee. When there are no late-night smokers chatting or arguing outside our window, before morning rush hour traffic, when everything is still soft and mellow in the first morning light--this is my coffee time. It could be the flavor, or the boost of energy, or maybe it's the routine. Boil the water. Grind the beans. Set up the filter. Pour the dark, rich liquid into your favorite mug, and add just the right amount of milk. It's something I can do while still half asleep--and often that is how I'm making it. Having something that gets me up and moving is pretty integral to becoming a functioning human in the mornings.

We've completely moved into our new apartment and are slowly finding out where everything goes. The cardboard boxes are starting to disappear, and I'm beginning to remember what cupboard holds which items. It still feels a bit strange to be in a new place, especially after the chaos of our move and having to be in three other new places in-between, but we'll get there eventually. Right now I would say I am as comfortable here as I would be at a temporary rental. We're planning another trip to Ikea this weekend, and we hope to leave with a couch. There might also be a kitchen table in our future as well as a small shelf that I can use for things that I am working on. That's what I'm calling it. It's the things-I'm-working-on shelf. I'll be using the kitchen table as a desk/workspace.

Before the fire, I was starting to get into a good daily routine. It took a few weeks, but I am finally starting to get back into the swing of things. I would like to spend my evenings productively and do the things that I enjoy. I would like to have a cleaner apartment and bring homemade lunches to work. Why I can't always get it together enough to do the things I want to do is beyond me. I have a hunch that it just takes some organization and a little willpower. Last year, I tried my hand at keeping a Bullet Journal. I didn't keep up with it. I spent more time making layouts and doing a sketch than using it as it was meant to be used. The internet world of the Bullet Journal completely fascinates me. I could watch endless YouTube videos of layouts and stationery hauls. Have I mentioned I love stationery? I do. Every time we've been in a store lately, I have to take a slow walk through the school supplies section, lamenting the fact that I do not need a 3-ring binder or glittery pencil case (oh, I'll find reasons).

The last time we took a quick detour through the back-to-school aisles, I bought a 50 cent composition notebook and decided to give the Bullet Journal another try. I've been using it for two days now and it's working well so far. I've accomplished far more in the past two days than I have in a long time. I need a place to write things down. I need the feeling of accomplishment of checking something off of a list. Maybe after some practice, I won't have to write everything down to get anything done. It's working well for me so far. I like the "collections" where you can keep a list with a theme. I made a list of music that I like and want to listen to, because I am constantly forgetting. I've found the future log, monthly log, and weekly log to be helpful. I'm not sure I'll need a daily log. I think I'll add two ribbons as page markers to make it easier to find the monthly and weekly sections quickly. If you haven't heard of the Bullet Journal by now (if you read blogs there's a good chance you have), go to YouTube and be ready to get lost in a wonderland of delicious pens and prettiness all around.

What keeps you focused and motivated? Do you have any tips on how to be more productive?

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are gradually becoming more settled! I love the morning rituals of making coffee too, although I am cheating with a machine right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not cheating! It might have less steps, but I consider getting up and pouring yourself a cup of coffee a ritual. ;)

      Delete
  2. This looks like my absolute favorite scene- hot coffee and pen and paper! I haven't heard of the Bullet Journal but now I'm scared because I'm already in love with my colored Staedtler fineliners that I used on my work schedule haha.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...