Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Eleven Mile State Park: The Reservoir


Eleven Mile Reservoir is the perfect place for those who love boating and fishing, but it's also not so bad for those of us just looking to enjoy the natural beauty away from hectic city life. It seemed that most campers at Eleven Mile State Park were there for fishing. There were many people fishing around the edges of the reservoir and quite a few boats as well. We hadn't planned any activities other than some light hiking and reading or making art. We thought about renting a small boat, but given how strong the sun is at 8,600 ft, I was glad we weren't spending hours on the water in direct sunlight.

On the second day of our trip, we slathered on SPF 50 sunblock, put on our UV protected hats, and braved the scorching sun over the reservoir. I worked on a beadwork project that I am not entirely satisfied with, and Brian spent some time doing a watercolor painting of the scenery. The sky and clouds surrounding the reservoir made me feel as though I were in a Miyazaki film (although I say that anytime I'm out in nature and find it overwhelmingly beautiful). Once you accept that your skin is going to feel like it's actually cooking, you can relax and soak in the vitamin D while taking in the view. I honestly don't know how people who were out there for hours and hours did it. I wonder if many people in Colorado wear UV protected clothing.

If you venture into the mountains of Colorado, be sure to bring hats, sunblock, and possibly some kind of sunshade as well. We learned our lesson at Eleven Mile and bought a UV protected awning for all of our future Colorado mountain adventures.













1 comment:

  1. I can feel the sun's strength just looking at these pictures! What a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...